Tuesday 3 January 2012

Lygia Pape - Serpentine gallery

I would recommend the current exhibition, Magnetized Space on at the Serpentine - Pape was a founding member of the neo-concrete movement in Brazil - sign me up !


I like the description of her work as that of a modernist with a bossa nova beat.













If you can't make it to the show, the video on the Serpentine website is worth a look
http://www.serpentinegallery.org/2011/03/lygia_pape.html


Don't miss the last piece shown above - gold threads in light and dark - easy not to realise that this room exists.
What do I take from the show for my work - the large piece of 354 squares of painted and cut wood flag that there are infinite ways of making the same thing look significantly different.
There is also a lot of exploratory work in drawing, woodcuts,  sculpture, photography, video and writing that eventually led her to making significant pieces - ie everything matters.


1 comment: