Saturday 30 October 2010

Why Fine Art ?

Introduction

My name is Roger Miles and I am in my second year of part-time foundation at Chelsea College of Art and Design. This is my second career - my first was that of a Chartered Accountant and I spent over 30 successful and exciting years at Deloitte.
I have chosen to take the Fine Art option for the remainder of my foundation course.

What inspires me in art ?
  • Images of decay including rust, peeling paint, fading colours and materials

  • Colour - at the age of 40 I spent 4 days painting with a professional artist - Susan Jane Hocking is an RA and a colourist and I had bought one of her early paintings at the Royal Academy summer exhibition - she subsequently taught me how to mix oil paints and how to use raw pigment and colour to good effect in paintings.

  • Painters and illustrators including Mark Rothko, Peter Doig, Vincent Van Gogh,Sean Sculley, Chuck Close, The Boyle Family, Glen Baxter, Edward Hopper and Francis Bacon,

  • Photographers including Andreas Gursky, Jeff Wall, Fay Godwin, the Wilson Sisters, Rodney Graham, Isaac Julien and Wolfgang Tillmans,

  • Sculptors and installation artists including Barbara Hepworth, David Smith, Hamish Fulton, Henry Moore and Sarah Sze,

  • Large scale installation artists including Fiona Banner and Mark Wallinger and this piece by Chris Burden from the Chelsea parade ground



Lessons learnt during rotations


What would I do in Fine Art ?

  • I want to do a BA in Fine Art - preferably at Chelsea - so I will focus on putting together my portfolio and producing some more interesting pieces during the rest of this term and the early part of next term,

  • Mix painting, photography and sculpture,

  • Stretch myself and look for new challenges,

  • Explore larger scale photography and large installations,

  • Experiment, fail, succeed,

  • Build wondrous worlds.

No comments:

Post a Comment